6.16.2011

26 Blessed Years

What a difference a year makes! I have been blessed with a year full of many new friends, experiences, and revelations that have helped shape me into who I am today- 26 years old and only getting younger-duh! With a new job, new perspectives and unbinding myself from a lease I flowed through my 25th year with much more fluidity. In addition to my winter exodus to Maui & living at Greenleaf, another highlight of my year was volunteering with Brian in Costa Rica for a turtle conservation program. We met awesome people from all over the world, experienced life in the jungle living off the grid, both managed to think we were dying of malaria and denghue fever, and oh yes, contributed to the conservation of sea turtles! Here are a few photos from our trip that I always enjoy:

hatchlings
watching the hatchling make it to sea at sunrise
mama turtle
my first hatchling save!
incidentals trek through the jungle
nest excavations
blue-eyed tree frog
siblings
go turtles go!
nest checks at sunrise
camp
twins
toucan

I look forward to another year full of many new people, places, and experiences! So what better way to recognize a new year of life than with a relaxing, no frills dinner with the fam. I didn't give the menu much thought as I've been really busy but we whipped up some tasty dishes that included:

*Salad (but of course!) consisting of red leaf lettuce, romaine, arugula, spinach, sunflower sprout greens, peppers, cucumber and grape tomatoes. Topped with my Mom's lemon vinagrette.
*Roasted golden beets & purple asparagus (that turn green when cooked-hmm!)
*Grilled chicken for the rest of the family.
& last but not least...
*Raw KEY LIME PUDDING for dessert! I made my mom take away my bowl after I was on my 4th(??) helping. It's just that good. Brian and I also shared some Raw & Fine chocolates I picked up last minute. His allergy to avocados completely slipped my mind when planning to make the pudding and avos are the main ingredient, whoops! Chocolate to the rescue!

For those who would like to indulge in the goodness of a healthy & raw alternative to key lime pie or for a fun twist on a pudding... DO try this at home.

Key Lime Pudding:

4 ripe avocados
1/2 cup lime juice (plus 1 tbsp for stronger lime flavor)
~ 1 TBSP lime zest
1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, melted
pinch of celtic salt

Blend well on high in a blender or food processor. Eat right away, chill if desired for later, or use as a pie filling for key lime pie. Top with crushed macadamia nuts or shredded coconut for something extra. & enjoy enjoy enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment