4.06.2011

Some salad dressings worth trying

I really enjoy salads... full of dark, leafy greens and loaded with many veggies and sprouts. Lately I've been adding sauerkraut (Bubbies brand) in place of dressing. Without sauerkraut, marinated or roasted veggies though, a good quality dressing is key.

While living at Greenleaf my go-to dressing was simple: lime or lemon juice, lots of nutritional yeast, pepper, and salt. Sometimes I'd throw a bit of olive oil on there but I'd usually skip it. I happened to be there when there was an overwhelming amount of limes around so they quickly replaced lemons and the need for oil.

Last week I made a ginger-carrot dressing. It was so delicious and reminded me of the ginger dressing they put on Japanese salads. I was always obsessed with these dressings so thankfully I now can recreate them myself.

Carrot-Ginger Dressing:

~2 cups carrot
3 tablespoons fresh ginger
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1 clove garlic
1/4 flax seed or olive oil
drizzle of sesame oil
pepper, curry, cumin to taste

Blend all ingredients (using 1/2 the amount of carrot at first) in a blender. Add spices to taste. As you blend, add more carrots until you reach your desired consistency. The more carrot you add, the thicker it will be and can then be used as a dip as well.

If you like Dijon mustard try this one!

Dijon-Cider Dressing:
1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
4 tablespoons olive oil
pepper to taste
1-2 packets of stevia, raw honey, or raw agave to sweeten if desired

Blend all in a blender until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment